Former Salvation Army

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09070 87630, map


Address

The Foundry
Carnegie Drive
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7AN
Scotland

Also known as:

  • The Foundry

Introduction

This building was formerly the Salvation Army citadel in Dunfermline in which the Salvation Army met for one hundred and fifty years, before moving to their current building in Pilmuir Street in 1952 (site 6503).   This building has its gable end facing the street, unlike the flanking buildings which are side on. The building is currently in use as a bar/restaurant.


Description

The building is of stone with a slate roof.   The north elevation faces the street.   There is a broad arched doorway with a later addition roller shutter covering a recessed door.    The doorway is flanked by bipartite square headed windows on either side and there three further sets of windows on the first floor.    There is a roundel with segmental ashlar surrounds in the gablehead and a chimney stack on the apex of this gable.   The sides and rear elevations are either difficult to see or not visible but for two louvered dormers on the eastern side of the roof.    


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Salvation ArmyDenomination185-1952

Events:

  • : Build/construction (1800)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10637