St Andrews Free Church (Boys Brigade Hall)

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 51000 16200, map


Address

Kinnessburn Road
St Andrews
Fife
KY16 8BW

Introduction

Although mainly for community use the Boys Brigade Hall is also used as a meeting place for the St Andrew's Free Church congregation.   The Hall is situated on the corner of Kinnessburn Road and Langlands Road

 


Description (exterior)

This is a two-storey gabled building of red brick walls with bands of white brick.    There are semi-circular windows in the gables.    Entrance is through a large porch over which is the  inscription of 'St Andrews Boys Brigade' and the motto of Sure and Steadfast, interspersed with three anchors. It was built by Gillespie & Scott in 1898-1899.    

 


Description (interior)

The interior is comprised of a number of halls and rooms.On the upper floor, behind one of the round-heade windows is a room set out with benches, or pews used for religious and other meetings. 

Several pictures are on the walls, including a framed copy of the Boys Brigade badge and the Company number, BB83.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Free ChurchDenomination2004/1-NOWThe Free Church meet at the Boys Brigade Hall.
Gillespie and ScottArchitect1898-1899architects. Built Boys Brigade Hall.
John Colville CunninghamArchitect1947-1948Addition.
1st St Andrews Boys BrigadeOwnerNOW

Events:

  • Meeting hall: Build/construction (1898 to 1899)
  • Meeting hall: Addition (1947 to 1948)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M006849
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 49363
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10643

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
History of St Andrews Free Churchhttp://www.standrewsfreechurch.co.uk/about.htm http://www.standrewsfreechurch.co.uk/about.htm
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 384.