King's Cellar, Limekilns

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 07600 83400, map


Address

Off Main Street
Limekilns
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

The King's Cellar is thought to be the oldest building in Limekilns and was at one time used as a chapel. The current building is mostly 16th century in date, although it is recorded that monks used it as a chapel as early as 1089. The building is located close to the harbour at Limekilns and therefore its use as a large warehouse, possibly connected with Dunfermline Abbey and Palace, makes sense. It was rebuilt during the reign of James V (1513-42) and a vaulted warehouse on two levels. A slightly later slate roof was added and it was used as a school for a time in the early 18th century. It was restored by Lord Elgin in the early 20th century and has been in use as a Masonnic Lodge since then.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)

The King's Cellar building today is a long rectangular structure, built from large, coursed, yellow sandstone blocks. The principal elevation faces south above the town and harbour. There is a small rectangular doorway at first floor level, reached by the early 20th century external stair. Above the door is an ashlar heraldic panel, topped by a ball finial. The south elevation has fairly small rectangular windows on two levels, some of which were opened up again during the 20th century restoration after having been blocked at some point. The ground floor windows are at the same level as the ground level today, showing that the land has built up quite significantly since the building was constructed.

J Dowling 2017


Description (interior)


Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: Site number 10645
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: Site ID: 49483