Buffie's Brae Chapel

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 08800 87800, map


Address

Buffie's Brae
Dunfermline
Fife
ky12 8ED
Scotland

Introduction

This former place of worship is a cottage in a narrow street called Buffie's Brae, Dunfermline. The congregation that used it formed in 1948 when they split from the nearby Chapel Street church (SCHR site no.10620), with whom they reunited in 1962. Initally the newly-formed congregation met at the Masonic Hall in Priory Lane, Dunfermline. Thereafter, they met for a short period in 1953 at the Industrial Co-operative hall in Townhill and moved to the Masonic Hall in Rosyth the same year. They eventually moved into their own meeting house, a semi-detached cottage in Buffies Brae in 1959, which they sold in 1966. It became a private house again, which it remains today. The cottages in the row are all one and a half storey, semi-detached structures, built with quality sandstone blocks and with a slate roof.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ChristDenomination1959-1962

Events:

  • Chapel: Opening (1959)
    This was the first dedicated meeting house for this congregation.
  • Chapel: Closure (1962)
    The congregation reunited with the Chapel Street congregation.

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Churches of Christ in the County of FifeHughes, R. W.1998pp. 121-123