Old Congregational Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 50800 16700, map


Address

105 Market Street
St Andrews
Fife
KY16 9PD
Scotland

Introduction

This site represents the first Congregational chapel in St Andrews and was situated almost directly opposite Logie's Lane, where 105 Market Street is located today. Prior to this, between 1804 to 1807, worshippers met in an old factory which was located to the south side of the town (location unknown).The chapel has since been demolished and was superceded by a newly erected chapel on Bell Street which the congregation moved to in December 1854 (site no.8050). Thomas Paton, minister from 1805 to 1818, started the first Sunday school in St. Andrews.


Description

Old Congregational Church

The Congregational Church was built in 1807 and closed in 1854 when the congregation moved to a new building on Bell Street. It has since been demolished.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Congregational Church of ScotlandDenomination1807-1854Moved to new building in 1854.
BaptistDenomination1839-1842Shared building with Congregationalists until moving to their own church building on South Street in 1842.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1807)
  • Church: Closure (1854)
    Moved to new site at Bell Street.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Records of St Andrews Congregational Church, St Andrews, FifeReference: GB 227 ms30326-30344

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Scottish Congregational Ministry 1794-1993McNaughton, W D. Dr.1993ISBN: 0 900304065 p. 462
Handbook of St Andrews and NeighbourhoodFleming, D.H.1910p. 114