Secession Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 27830 91030, map


Address

Bethelfield Place, Nicol Street
Kirkcaldy
Fife
KY1 1TJ
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Bethelfield Church

Introduction

This congregation, known as Bethelfield, formed in Kirkcaldy after breaking away from Abbotshall Church and the Parish Church in the 1730s. The first church was built at the southern end of the High Street, on the border between Kirkcaldy and Abbotshall parishes, in 1740. There is no record of the appearance of this building, which was sited slightly to the east of the present church (site number: 4636). Following the collapse of the gallery in 1829, the church was demolished and replaced with the church which remains today, now known as Linktown Church. This particular congregation seems to have changed loyalties several times during its lifetime, and has been identified as at least Secession and Burgher at different times. The congregation which survives today is Church of Scotland.


Description

Secession Church


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Secession ChurchDenomination1737-1829

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1740)
  • Church: Damage (1829)
    Internal gallery collapsed.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1829)

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Bethelfield Church 1831 - 1981Campbell, Rev. R1981