Brethren Assembly, St Andrews

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 51100 16400, map


Address

20 Greenside Place
St Andrews
Fife
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Greenside Place Hall

Introduction

The Christian Brethren Hall was situated at 20 Greenside Place in St Andrews, and was a redevelopment of an existing cottage. The work to extend and renew the building took place in 1938 and was first owned by a Harold P. Thorpe. In 1939 the Brethren Assembly were the first tenents to  move into the property and they remained there into the 21st century until the building was sold. Since then it has been demolished and a new house built on the plot.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)

The hall was a simple two storey structure, built of sandstone and harled and with a pantile covered roof. The original ground floor windows had been blocked at some point, perhaps when it was remodelled and extended in the 1930s. The entrance was through a neoclassical doorway in the west frontage of the building and there were three rectangular windows at first floor level, reaching to the wallhead.

J Dowling 2017


Description (interior)

The interior of the hall was approximately 6m by 10m. Chairs were arranged in rows, in a semi-circular fashion. At the north end of the hall was a simple wooden lectern.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
BrethrenDenomination1939
Mr Harold P ThorpeOwner1938The first tenants, in 1939, were the Christian Brethern per D Ferguson, 70 South St, St. Andrews. The group have occupied the building since. The yearly rent in 1960 was £28.

Events:

  • Meeting hall: Build/construction (1938)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10688

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Valuation roll for the burgh of St Andrews19301930-40 Item 207
Valuation roll for the burgh of St Andrews19601960 - 70 Item 513