Lochlee - Ex Secession Church 1

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 37607 31536, map


Address

Kirk Street
Lochlee
Dundee
Forfarshire
DD2 3EB

Also known as:

  • Bog Mission

Introduction

 It is believed that their building sat within an area marked by a red brick wall. As of autumn 2008 the land within was under redevelopment. Due to its position on boggy ground the site was, and still is, known locally as the Bog Mission. The surrounding area contains industrial businesses. K. Nichols

The secessionist met in a house at the corner of Kirk Street and South Street and in 1784 built a manse. The next year the church was built on the south east corner of the junction. It was called Myrekirk Church. About 1800 congregation dwindled and they moved to the School Wynd Church. In 1810 they moved to a new church in Lorne Street.


Description

United Associated Secessionists Kirk Street Site


Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dundee Reference Library - Online databaseReference: Digital archive with some photos

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Lost DundeeC McKean and P Whatley2008