Franciscan Nunnery

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39748 30120, map


Address

West Port
Argyllsgait
Dundee
DD1 5ER
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Poor Clares
  • Gray Sisters

Introduction

The Franciscan Nunnery lay against the walls of Argyllsgait. The area that contained the town walls is now flattened. This area has been renamed West Port and is a roundabout leading to outlying areas.

K. Nichols


Description

The records state that the nuns occupied a site at the west end of the burgh, and it was against the walls at Argyllsgait (now West Port). The building, crofts and pertinents were granted by James Fotheringham, burgess of Dundee, on 8 March 1501. A condition of the grant was that a chapel was to be dedicated to St. James Apostle. This property was sold in 1560. However, the area continued to be known as The Gray Sisters Acre and encompassed the area from Hawkhill to Hunter Street and Brook St. A 1566 Register of Privy Seal describes the property as 'besyde the burgh of Dundee' indicating that it was outside the burgh walls. No description of the buildings survives. K. Nichols


Events:

  • Nunnery/convent: Alteration/conversion (1501)
  • Nunnery/convent: Closure (1560)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dundee Reference Library - Online databaseReference: Digital resource
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 10709

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Lost DundeeCharles McKean and Patricia Whatley2008
Medieval DundeeE P D Torrie1990