Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): SV .0000 .0000, map


Address

Tally Street
Overgate
Dundee
Scotland

Introduction

A chapel stood here from the 18th century but was demolished many years ago. The present site is now the entry to a retail shopping centre. An illustration of this building in a book shows the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel as a domestic-style building within a residential area.

K. Nichols


Description

The chapel had an east-west orientation and was constructed of coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. The main chimney was in the middle of the south wallhead line. There was a second chimney on the east gable. The entrance on the south wall was on the upper level and reached by a flight of steps and entry via a small box porch. The three upper windows were round arched with leaded glass. The lower level appears to have contained a blocked arch or a pend.

 

The east gable's ground floor appears to have been shop premises (a regular occurence as this was a means of income) with a heavy lintel across the building's width. The upper windows were three strip lights with stone tracery. From this photograph it appears that this gable would have been seen from a distance and acted as a termination for Church Street. The closest building to it is set back.

 

The west gable is attached to the higher stone remains of a previous building. It is believed that the Wesleyans purchased the building in 1788 after the Episcopalians had congregated there in the previous six years.

K. Nichols


Events:

  • Chapel: Build/construction
    C18th approx
  • Chapel: New Denomination ( to 1788)
    Episcopalians
  • Chapel: New Denomination (1788)
    Wesleyan Methodists

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dundee Reference Library - Online databaseReference: Digital archive

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Victorian Dundee at WorshipIan McCraw2002