Former Dominican Monastery

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40094 30287, map


Address

Friars Wynd
Barrack Street
Dundee
DD1 1PH
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Blackfriars

Introduction

The site of this monastery is considered to be in close proximity to the Greyfriars at the Franciscan Friary where the Willison church once stood. K. Nichols


Description

Pat Torrie gives an approximate description of the site for this group. It may have been west of Friars Wynd, opposite the Greyfriars friary, somewhere between the Overgait Port and Nethergait Port. Its precinct included Barrack Street to the Overgate Port. Attacked in 1559 it was destroyed and the stone reused for the harbour and Castle burn.

K. Nichols


Events:

  • Monastery: Founded (1517 uncertified to 1521 uncertified)
  • Monastery: Destruction/demolition (1559)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dundee Reference Library - Online databaseReference: Reference section

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Medieval Dundee; a town and its peopleTorrie, EP1990p67
Lost DundeeCharles McKean and Patricia Whately2008