Willison United Free Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): SV .0000 .0000, map


Address

Barrack Street
Dundee
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Willison P.C (1839)

Introduction

The site of the Willison church is now occupied by a large furniture retailer and private parking zone. It stood just to the west of the Howff burial ground near the centre of Dundee.

K. Nichols


Description

The following description is taken from images of this building shown on a lantern slide and within a photographic survey of Dundee churches. Both images, retained by Dundee Reference Library, show only the east face of the building. Sited at the southwest edge of Barrack Street, this two-storey construction with ashlar dressings had a residential building to its left and a factory behind. The main gable for the aisle faced the Howff's west wall. Althought here were no buttresses or pilasters on the gable wall, crocketed pinnacles were inserted on the corner points. The porch on this face held the access door. The great drop window had two lights, flowing tracery and a dripstone. The transept window was a rounded arch design. The finial appears to have been a stone celtic cross and there were two vents on the roofline. The roof tiles appears to have been slate and the walls were constructed in regular courses of stone.  K. Nichols


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1814)
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1868)
    additions to fabric not stated

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dundee Reference Library - Online databaseReference: Digital photographic collection