St David's Church Site

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39801 30308, map


Address

Tay Street
Dundee
Scotland

Introduction

The site of the former St. David's has been redeveloped as part of the Marketgait ring road. K. Nichols


Description

St David's Church Site

Formerly a tabernacle church, St. David's was built by the Haldane Brothers in 1800. An image retained by Dundee Reference Library shows that the church was rectangular in plan  with a pitched roof. The gable was plain and the main elevation was symmetrical. There was a door at each far side and two small windows, one above the other. Two large drop windows were set in the middle of the wall. Each window had two lights and stone tracery. There was a small hall extension attached at one end. The church was paved and enclosed by small walls with a railing and double gate. The surrounding area was industrial.
It was then bought by the Town Council in the early nineteenth century. The congregation was amalgamated with St. Paul's of the city churches and the name of St. David was incorporated into that church. The former church remained in use as JM Ballroom from 1954 but burned down in 1994. The site was cleared and since 2001 has been used as a car parking area.

K. Nichols


Events:

  • Church built (1800)
    Built by the Haldane Brothers
  • Church out of ecclesiastical use (1954)
  • Church burnt down and demolished (1994)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dundee Reference Library - Online databaseReference: Photo record of the church

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Lost DundeeCharles McKean and Patricia Whatley2008