Mains and Strathmartine Parish Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40210 33680, map


Address

Claverhouse Road
Dundee
Angus
Scotland

Introduction

The site for this town church was chosen as the most convenient for the congregations of Mains and Strathmartine Parishes when they were united in around 1800. The sandstone walls and slate roof structure is in fair condition.


Description (exterior)

The main church building is in sandstone, constructed in rubble with ashlar dressing, with four arched windows in the south elevation. The gabled roof has a west-facing bellcote, formerly the main facade of the church, with the grey stone belfry (lacking a bell) consisting of four square columns supporting a hipped canopy mounted with a weather vane. The windows in the gable end have been blocked. To the gable end is affixed a small porch with a hipped roof of construction consistent with the main church building, connected by an earlier addition with a flat roof with a parapet now serving as a hyphen. The north elevation has been reconstructed in brick and white plaster and now serves as the front facade of the building, containing four rectangular windows and an entryway. The east-facing gable end features a small, decorative parapet at its peak, beneath which is a small, arched window and five rectangular windows, now blocked, and a similar porch to that located on the west elevation. The building is B-listed. It was sold in 1996 and converted into five flats.


Description (interior)

The old church building is now a residential property, but the interior of the building when it was in use of a church is known from description to have featured a gallery on Tuscan columns, a tablet in memory of Charlotte, Lady Ogilvy, a stained glass window unveiled on 14 May 1922 dedicated to the memory of the parish men who died in the First World War, a plaque in memory of J M Coutts Duffus (a benefactor of the church), and two more plaques dedicated to two ministers of the church: Rev R Spencer Ritchie and Rev Alexander Stewart. The stained glass window has been sold, but the plaques, with the exception of that of Rev R Spencer Ritchie which was too heavy for wall mounting, have been moved to the new buildings, along with the communion table and chairs, font and organ and a large brass offering dish donated by Rev Alexander Stewart in 1911.


Events:

  • Mains and Strathmartine parishes united. (1795 - 21 November)
  • Main church building erected. (1800)
  • First phase of hall building. (1970s)
    These halls served the congregation of Mains Parish Church until early 2013.
  • Second phase of hall building. (1980s)
  • Main church building declared unsafe. (1994)
    Congregation moved to halls.

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Buildings of Scotland - Dundee and AngusJohn Gifford2012