The Howff Burial Ground, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40150 30350, map


Address

Barrack Street
Meadowside
Dundee
Angus
Scotland

Introduction

This burial ground was established in Dundee city centre in 1564, and is associated with Mary, Queen of Scots. She granted the lands of the Greyfriars north of the burgh boundary to the Council for use as a graveyard in 1564, since that of St Clement's had become overcrowded and unsanitary. It was walled (with railings) in the early 19th century, and a gateway to Barrack Street was created in 1833. The south and east boundaries are formed by Bank Street and Reform Street. The west wall contains large, blocked in arcading. When first created, the graveyard was in countryside at the edge of the city and it seems likely that the arcading was open at this stage, which must have made an impressive location for burial. A wide range of funerary monuments dating from the 16th to 19th centuries are present, many of which are ornate. A Victorian record was made of the stones and the inscriptions then visible. This record is kept in the McManus Galleries. There is a roofed burial enclosure to the south.

JD 2011


Events:

  • Burial ground: Founded (1564)