Steeple Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40160 30140, map


Address

Nethergate
Dundee
Angus
DD1 4DG
Scotland

Also known as:

  • St. Clement's (1834)
    renamed The Steeple church again 1963

Introduction

The Steeple Church is one of four churches/former churches within the building known as the City Churches (10888). The earliest church on this site was known as St. Mary’s Church (1082) and dates from the late 12th Century. It was largely destroyed in 1548 by English troops and the site that The Steeple Church now occupies (originally the nave of St. Mary’s Church) was not rebuilt until 1789. After its reconstruction in 1789 by architect Samuel Bell, it was named The Steeple Church and reconnected to the 15th Century tower of the original St. Mary’s Church (see 1084). Its congregation split in 1843 and the Church was renamed St. Clement’s (Steeple) Church. In 1963 the nearby congregation of St. Enoch’s (10719) joined the Church. By 1978 it had been renamed The Steeple Church after the amalgamation of the congregation with Old St. Paul’s and St. David’s (10722), and the Wishart Memorial (6124).


Description (exterior)

The Church is constructed from sandstone with six large pointed windows on its south wall. On the southern wall two buttresses flank the main door. There are two string courses; one just above ground level and the other below the windows. Four of the six southern windows have simple Y tracery and diamond-shaped, or quarry, glass. These windows also have hinges around the dressing and likely held shutters in the past. The other two windows are more intricate with quatrefoils; these are located above the door and to the east of the door. The door interrupts both string courses; the upper one jumps up to form a frame around the door. This design is repeated on the north side where there are seven pointed windows with less space in between. Similar to the south elevation five windows have Y tracery with quarry glass, and two are more intricately designed, and are found above the door and to the east of the door. A second door has been added to the north elevation, it cuts into the window therefore is a later addition. On the stonework either side of this door are marks were a porch or similar structure once stood. The roof is gabled with a carved stone quatrefoil design on the wall-head.


Description (interior)

The worship space is furnished with a Lectern, Stand and Communion Table located on the northern side, on a raised Sanctuary. There is a wooden cross set in a recess in the north wall. On the east wall there are two fabric wall hangings and another wooden cross in between them, just above the entrance. On the western side of the room is a gallery with a kitchen area and shop below it, separated by windows from the worship space. On the gallery front is another wall hanging. There are old pews and an organ by Henry Willis & Sons in the gallery, which is accessed through the shop area and up a flight of stairs that connects the Steeple Church to the Old Steeple Tower (1084). Along the stair corridor there are two memorial plaques to previous Reverends.


Events:

  • Constucted (12th Century to 1548)
    Church complex constructed in the 12th Century founded by David Earl of Huntingdon
  • Destroyed (1548)
    Destroyed by the Duke of Somerset's English army
  • Church: Build/construction (1788 to 1789)
    Architect Samuel Bell
  • Split (1843)
    Congregation split and Church was renamed St. Clement's (Steeple)
  • Amalgamation (1963)
    Amalgamation of congregation with St. Enoch's (10719)
  • Amalgamation (1978)
    Amalgamation of congregation with Old St. Paul's (10695) and St. David's (10722), and the Wishart Memorial (6124)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 1085
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 185630
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 25374

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Buildings of Scotland: Dundee and AngusGifford, John2012pgs 86-90