Mains Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40217 33689, map


Claverhouse Road


From 1994 to 2013, the congregation of Mains Parish Church has worshipped in these halls, as the church building itself was declared unsafe and the necessary works estimated in cost at £100,000, a sum beyond the means of the congregation. The now disused adjacent church building was erected in 1800 upon the union of Mains and Strathmartine parishes, located centrally within the united parish.

A. McLaren


The halls which now serve the congregation are detached from the old church building, and are functionalist in design with gabled grey slate roofs, their elevations finished in beige plaster with exposed brick foundations. A porch of two slender white pillars supporting a lead lintel bearing a Celtic cross canopies the entrance to the buildings. The lead panelled gable end of one of the buildings bears a similar cross. The church and hall are arranged in an L-shape complex.

A. McLaren


  • First phase of hall building. (1970s)
  • Second phase of hall building. (1980s)
  • Congregation moves into halls. (1994 to 2013)

Bibliographic References:

Pevsner Architectural Guides - The Buildings of Scotland - Dundee and AngusJohn Gifford2012268, 270