Dalbog Chapel, Edzell

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 58800 72000, map



Also known as:

  • Chapel Kirkshed
  • Chapelfield


There is little information known about this medieval chapel, near Edzell. The Ordnance Survey visited the site in the mid 19th century but found that the foundations of the chapel, which had been visible for many years, had been removed recently by a local farmer. The historian Jervise visited the site too but again found no trace. Locals told him the field in which the chapel stood was called Chapelfield and the chapel ruins known as Chapel Kirkshed. Jervise claims that in 1760 the ruins stood to around 1.5m in height. 

RCAHMS visited the area in the early 1980s but found no trace of a possible site, so the chapel's exact location remains unknown. Fieldwork or a geophysical survey would help possibly pinpoint the site.

Archive References:

Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO57SE 3
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 35179
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 1107

Bibliographic References:

The history and traditions of the land of the Lindsays in Angus and Mearns, with notices of Alyth and MeigleA Jervise1853p21-22
The Object Name Book of the Ordnance SurveyOrdnance SurveyBook 40, p59
RCAHMS: The archaeological sites and monuments of central Angus, 2 (medieval and later), Angus District, Tayside RegionRCAHMS1984p8