Kilconquhar Old Parish Church
National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 48560 02030, map
Also known as:
- Kilconquhar Cum Capella (c1176)
Canmore notes an early reference to this site.
The remains of the old church at Kilconquhar stand on the eastern edge of the graveyard surrounding the present parish church (site number 4699). There are three arches, each approximately twelve feet wide. The burial ground surrounds the new and old parish churches on all sides. Memorials to the east of the churches are associated with the old parish church, and there are several with mortality symbolism.
The old parish church was a sandstone structure.
People / Organisations:
|Pre-reformation Church of Scotland||Denomination||C1176-1560|
|Church of Scotland||Denomination||1560-1820|
|Benedictine Nunnery of North Berwick||Owner||1200-C1560|
- Church: Build/construction (1176)
The earliest known reference to a church at Kilconquhar.
- Church: Custodial Transfer (1200)
The church was granted to the convent of North Berwick.
- Church: Consecration (1243)
- Church: Destruction/demolition (1820)
The church was rebuilt.
|Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online database||View HS Listing Online: 8505|
|Canmore - Online database||View Canmore Report Online: 32551|
|Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online database||View HS Listing Online: 8506|
|Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline database||Reference: 1232|
|Discovering Fife||Lamont-Brown, Raymond||1988||pp. 170-172.|
|Buildings of Scotland: Fife||Gifford, J||1988||p. 260|