The Caves of Caiplie
National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 59980 05830, map
Also known as:
- The Coves (now0)
- Caplawchy (ba875)
Caiplie is reputed Caplawchy, a site associated with St. Adrian who is alleged to have founded a settlement in this part of Scotland in the ninth century.
- The Caves of Caiplie
The Caves of Caiplie, which have been cut by the sea, are situated to the east of Kilrenny on the coastal path. They are reputedly the site of early Christian worship. The largest is known as Chapel Cave and features a number of incised crosses of various different periods. Holes have been cut in pairs in the rock for passing ropes through. The floor was formerly clay and excavations in the nineteenth century recovered human remains beneath the floor. There is evidence that the rock around the mouth of the cave has been worked. However, the cave has had several phases of human occupation and it is not possible to say whether this is associated with early Christian use.
People / Organisations:
|Saint Adrian||Founder||B875A||Saints Day: 4th March. St. Adrian is alleged to have founded a settlement here in the ninth century.|
- Cave: Founded (b875a)
The site was first used for Christian worship in the ninth century.
- Cave: Alteration/conversion (c170)
The cave was used a barn and a doocot.
- Cave: Abandonment (c180)
|Canmore - Online database||View Canmore Report Online: 34025|
|CSA: Inventory of Scottish Church Heritage - Hardcopy||Reference: 1296||Research by Helen Armitage.|
|Scran - Online database||Reference: 000-000-108-801-C||Image: Edwina Proudfoot|
|Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline database||Reference: 1296||Research by Helen Armitage. Compiled by J Dowling.|
|Guide to the East Neuk of Fife||Fleming, D Hay||1886||Available as an ebook at http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usebooks/fleming-eastneuk/index.html See Chapter on Kilrenny|