Kinneff and Catterline Parish Church
National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 84410 76360, map
Also known as:
- Kinneff Free Church
This small rural church is located at the southern edge of Kinneff, a small village close to Inverbervie. It was built as a Free Church in 1843 but later became Church of Scotland, serving Kinneff and Catterline, a small village to the north. The church has recently closed (2011) and was for sale when visited. The church stands in small grounds, mostly grass and a gravelled area for parking.
The church was built with different sized sandstone blocks, with ashlar sandstone used for surrounds, mouldings and the bellcote. It is a rectangular building with a projecting porch to the east and an attached hall to the north.
The east gable is the principle elevation, and shows Norman influences. The central porch features a round-arched doorway with attached columns and a simple hoodmould above the arch. There is a small stringcourse, which runs around the porch. The side faces of the porch have small round-arched windows and there is a Celtic cross finial on the apex of the gable. The east gable of the church has a round-arched window on either side of the porch, again with hoodmoulds. Above, near the gablehead, is a small louvered opening or vent. A small bellcote with a round-arch opening is mounted on the apex and the bell is hung from a wooden support.
The rest of the elevations are harled, with sandstone corner stones (quoins). The south elevation has three round-arched windows with simple tracery and sandstone surrounds. Two similar windows are found in the west (rear) gable, along with a vent in the gablehead. The north elevation retains two of its round-arched windows, with the hall extension built outwards from the middle of the elevation. The hall is single storey and harled, with hipped, slated roofs. It has simple rectangular windows and a door with disabled access.
The interior has been largely stripped of its movable fittings and furnishings, ahead of the church's sale.
People / Organisations:
|J T Henderson||Architect||1843|
- Church built (1843)
- Church closed and put up for sale (2011)
|Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline database||Reference: 1306|
|Canmore - Online database||View Canmore Report Online: NO87NW 31|
|Canmore - Online database||View Canmore Report Online: 36809|
|Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online database||View HS Listing Online: 9533||C(S)-listed|
|Dunnottar to Kinneff, in 'Scotland's Mag'||J MacKay||1964||p13|