Lochlee Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 44560 80410, map


Address

Lochlee
Angus
DD9 7YZ
Scotland

Introduction

Lochlee Parish Church was built in 1803 to replace an earlier church, the remains of which stand at the east end of Lochlee. The 1803 church was said to have been built from stone taken from the outbuildings of Invermark Castle. The four-bay Gothic structure has grey harled walls with ashlar corner stones (quoins) and a slate roof. It sits in a roughly rectangular graveyard in a prominent position in Lochlee.


Description (exterior)

The symmetrical south elevation frontage has two large pointed-arch windows with Y-tracery made from wooden mullions. The windows have small panes of clear glass. On either side of the windows is a wooden panelled door with pointed-arch fanlight. Above each door is a small quatrefoil window.

 

The west elevation has a gablehead bellcote with simple pierced decoration. The west gable also has a small pointed-arch window. The east gable has a small stone pointed finial and a pointed-arch window of the same dimensions as found in the west gable. The rear (north) wall is featureless.

 


Description (interior)

The interior has wooden pews, divided by a central passage, which face the chancel area. There is a gallery at the west end and a small vestry behind the chancel, reached by a timber stair.

 

the chancel area is dominated by the large pulpit, which is reached by stairs on either side. The wooden pulpit, with simply decorated panels, has a large back board with an ogee-hooded sounding board. In front of the pulpit is a finely-carved communion table. Against the north wall is a small harmonium (as apposed to an organ), which was extensively restored in 2008.

 

The gallery at the west end of the church is supported by two timber uprights. It has a panelled front with a clock mounted in the middle. It is lit by the small window in the west gable. A small stairway in the south-west corner of the church gives access to the gallery.

JD


Events:

  • Church built (1803)
  • Alterations and additions (1824)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 11386B-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO48SW 13:00
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 1366

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
New Statistical Account of Scotland1833/1845Vol X, p196
The architecture of Scottish Post-Reformation ChurchesG Hay1957p246