Sauchieburn Berean Chapel

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 66470 69680, map


AB30 1PX


This simple chapel building was built in the 1770s at a crossroads and hamlet of cottages and farm buildings. The chapel building is now privately owned after it became disused and ruinous. It is now within private garden grounds and is used as a general store and outbuilding.

Description (exterior)

The chapel is a fairly large but simple building, rectangular on plan. It was built with rubble stone and rendered (harled) and has a slate roof. The building is now partly ruinous (and why Historic Scotland listed it in 1980) with little of the rendering surviving, the windows removed and boarded and holes in the slate roof.


The west gable of the chapel has a plain, rectangular doorway and a boarded rectangular window above, which originally lit the gallery. There is a memorial stone mounted on the gable. The side walls have a number of rectangular windows, all of which are boarded up or without glass. A number of the windows may have been enlarged slightly, possibly after the building ceased to be a chapel. There is also a rectangular door in each side elevation. The east gable has a rectangular window at gallery height.

Description (interior)

The interior originally had a horse-shoe or U-shaped gallery, supported on timber columns. However this was in a ruinous condition when surveyed by Historic Scotland in 1980 and it is not known if it still in situ today. The nave space has been gutted for use as a general store and outbuilding.


  • Chapel: Build/construction (1773)

Archive References:

Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 1393
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 16292C(S)-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO66NE 34
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 35895

Bibliographic References:

The New Statistical Account of Scotland1845Vol. XI p306