Berriedale Church, Latheron

National Grid Reference (NGR): ND 12100 23270, map


Address

Borgie, Near Berriedale
Caithness
Scotland

Introduction

Berriedale Church is a 19th century T-plan church with harled exterior, designed by Thomas Telford. It is one of the Parliamentary churches, built as part of a government programme to provide churches in the Highlands.

It is sited on the shoulder of a hill, surrounded by grave stones. It is isolated, but is not far from the main road and is visible from considerable distances.

It was closed as a church in 2008 and is no longer in ecclesiastical use, but is now a charity, run by the Berriedale Church and Cemetery Association.


Description (exterior)

Berriedale Church, Latheron

This church was built in 1826 by William Thomson and William Davidson on land gifted by Mr Horne, Proprieter of Berriedale Estate.

The first minister was the Rev. Donald MacLachlan, who was replaced by the Rev. Samuel Campbell. He left the Established Church during the Disruption of 1843. 

The T-plan church is built of coursed rectangular sandstone, with a slate roof and sanstone sloping gables.


It features a regular, pinnacled bell cote on the west gable and a cross finial on the east. It has porch at the south east and vestry on the north side. The building haas been harled, except on the east elevation.

Burial ground

The burial ground is well looked after and may still be in use.


Description (interior)

The interior retains the Victorian interior layout with wooden pulpit placed centrally on the south wall; the communion table is in front. The sanctuary area is enclosed by a low wooden 'wall'.

 

 and dark stained wooden pews.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1826)
    People: Wllm Thomson/wllm Davidson