Medieval Chapel Site, Old Course, St Andrews

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 50400 17000, map


Address

St Andrews
St Andrews Golf Course
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

A small burial ground was uncovered in the 1860s when the Old Course golf course in St Andrews was altered and relaid. The burial ground was discovered on the 18th Green of the golf course, which runs alongside The Links road towards the famous R&A Clubhouse. It is likely that a medieval chapel was associated with the burials and built alongside, although no structural remains of such a building were found at the time.

J Dowling, 2017


Description (exterior)


Description (interior)


Events:

  • Burial ground: Excavation (1860)
    Burial ground was uncovered.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 34339
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 1477