Bishops Wood, Magus Muir

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 45540 15110, map


Address

Bishop's Wood
St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9RZ
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

The site contains three monuments in close proximity to each other, either on or near the site of the murder of Archbishop Sharp, in the wood at Magus Muir. They were all either built or restored by John Whyte-Melville in 1877.   The Sharp monument is half a mile south of the murder site.
The Martys' Monument is at the west edge of the wood, off the B939, one mile south of Strathkinness.   At Claremont Farm half a mile south of the site a memorial marks the burial site of five Covenanters not associated with the murder.     The murderers were executed in Edinburgh;    the head and two hands from three of them are buried in the graveyard of Cupar Old and St Michael of Tarvit,  but this site includes the gravestone of one of them named Andrew Gullin.

 


Description

The monument is pyramidal in shape and has a plaque bearing an inscription on one side.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Archbishop James SharpClergyman1679/5/2Archbishop Sharp was murdered at the site, and a memorial to the archbishop was later erected there.
John Whyte-Melville1877built monument in 1877 marking the place that Archbishop Sharp was murdered. Built the memorial to Archbishop Sharp and restored the tombstone of Andrew Gullin, one of the murderers of Archbishop Sharp. Also erected a new tombstone for the grave of five covenanter's and built a wall surrounding the tomb.

Events:

  • Covenanter\'s site: Build/construction (1728)
    The gravestone for the five covenanters was erected.
  • Tomb: Build/construction (1738)
    Tombstone erected to commemorate Andrew Gullin, who was executed for his part in the murder of Archbishop Sharp.
  • Memorial: Build/construction (1877)
    A monument marking the site of Archbishop Sharp\'s murder was built.
  • Covenanter\'s site: Build/construction (1877)
    A new gravestone was erected with same design and inscription as the original. A wall was also built to surround the tomb.
  • Tomb: Restoration (1877)
    The tombstone was restored.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 15808Grave of 5 convenanters, Magus Muir.
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 32884
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 32895Bishops's Wood, Grave of Five Covenanters.
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 32884Bishop's Wood, Archbishop Sharp's Memorial and Tomb of Cullin.
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 15816Tomb of Guillan (or Gullan) Claremont.
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 32895
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 15808
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 1480