St Cyrus Parish Church
National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 75010 64770, map
AddressGarvock, St Cyrus
Also known as:
- Mearns Coastal Parish Church
The current St Cyrus Parish Church was built alongside its predacessor (see site St Cyrus Old Parish Church) in 1787, when the parish was renamed St Cyrus from Ecclesgreig. It stands at the western edge of a sub-rectangular burial ground at the eastern end of the village of St Cyrus in rural Aberdeenshire. The church was largely rebuilt in the mid 19th century and its tall tower and spire make it a local landmark.
St Cyrus Parish Church is rectangular on plan and has a square tower at the north end. The nave of the church is tall and fairly short and is divided into three bays. The church was built in ashlar sandstone blocks, although it is of a poorer quality on the eastern (graveyard) side. The roof of the nave is slated.
The west elevation of the church, which faces the gated entranceway into the church grounds, has a tall, narrow pointed-arch (lancet) window in each bay with stepped buttresses inbetween. There are stepped diagonal buttresses at the corners. The east elevation mirrors this, apart from there are no buttresses, except on the corners.
The south gable of the church has the main entrance doorway. It is wide and flat-topped with a large traceried window above (clear, multi-pane glass). Near the gablehead is a small round window and there is a stone cross finial on the apex and pinnacles on the corner buttresses.
The north elevation is dominated by the square, four-stage tower. It has octagonal, crenellated corner buttresses and clock faces on the third stage. There are numerous lancet windows throughout the tower, which help to light the inner stairway. The highest stage has pairs of lancet belfry openings and above is a crenellated parapet. A stone, octagonal spire rises centrally from the top of the tower and is topped by a metal weather vane.
The interior of the church has a gallery at the southern end and numerous stained glass windows depicting biblical figures. Interior photography will be uploaded shortly.
People / Organisations:
- First Church built (1787)
- Church largely rebuilt to include new tower (1853)
|Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline database||Reference: 1483|
|Canmore - Online database||View Canmore Report Online: NO76SE 2:00|
|Canmore - Online database||View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NO76SE 2:01|
|Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online database||View HS Listing Online: 16317||B-listed|
|Canmore - Online database||View Canmore Report Online: Canmore number 36338|
|RCAHMS: The archaeological sites and monuments of South Kincardine, Kincardine and Deeside District, Grampian Region||RCAHMS||1982||p29|
|Deeside and the Mearns: an illustrated architectural guide, Illustrated architectural guide series Edinburgh||Jane Geddes||2001||p37|
|Epitaphs and inscriptions from burial grounds and old buildings in the north-east of Scotland with historical, biographical, genealogical and antiquarian notes||A Jervise||1875-9||Vol. 1, p39-41|
|The New Statistical Account of Scotland||1845||Vol. 11, p269-70|