Alloa Old Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NS 88630 92580, map


Address

Kirkgate
Alloa
Clackmannan
Scotland

Description

Alloa Old Parish Church

Construction materials: Stone (sandstone) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This site is now known as Greenside Burial Ground. Previously there was a 14th century chapel on the site dedicated to St Mungo which was rebuilt and enlarged in 1680. The new building measured 65' by 42'. The masons were Tobias Bauchop, John Buchannan and John Maine, while the wrights were William Watson, James Houston and James Allan. In 1717 the church became so crowded that an extension was added in the form of a loft or gallery. In 1819 the congregation moved to the New Parish Church, Bedford Place, Alloa. The aisle of the previous chapel is now the Mar and Kellie mausoleum, which was recently restored. The wall of the Greeside Burial Ground encloses the ruined kirk steeple with a figure of St Mungo in a niche still intact. The lower stages of the surviving tower are of rubble sandstone (suggesting an earlier church building), while the upper courses are of ashlar. The tower is topped by a slated spire. The tower was renovated in the 1980s. Compiled by J. Dowling, 14/7/2004.

Burial ground

 

Carved stone

 

Mausoleum

 

Steeple

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1680 to 1683)
    Feature: Tower.
    People: Tobias Baak, Pat Maine