Cornerstone Full Gospel Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 16690 84540, map


Address

Dalgety Bay East
Dalgety Bay
Fife
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Cornerstone Full Gospel Church (1980)
    This is the present name of this church.
  • Dalgety Parish Church (1830)
    This was the original name of the church.
  • Dalgety Kirk (1830)

Introduction

This church was built on the outskirts of the town in 1830 to replace the previous parish church (St. Bridget's, site number: 2227). This church was in turn replaced by the current parish church (site number: 8410) in 1981. In 1982 this church become the Cornerstone Full Gospel Church; this Fellowship had previously met in a barn in Aberdour.. It is surrounded by a small graveyard.   This graveyard is entered on the eastern side; a tree lined driveway leads to black painted iron gates. The graveyard is slightly raised from the surrounding ground and is surrounded by saddle back coped rubble walls.  The oldest headstones are to the north of the church. There is a newer section to the northeast of the church. A war memorial is situated just inside the entrance gates.


Description (exterior)

The church is built from coursed sandstone with chiselled point work and has a base course built from large sandstone blocks. with Tudor windows, and a slate roof.

The principle elevation is flanked by diagonal ashlar buttresses. Advanced from the centre of the face is a single storey parapeted porch with ashlar frontage.    There is a porch on this elevation in the eastern face of which there is a Tudor arched doorway with hoodmould above. The two leaf timber door has iron stud work. Above the porch, in the body of the church there is a three light Tudor window with plain glazed square quarries. At the apex of the elevation there is a corbelled octagonal bellcote.


The base course of the south face is built from large squared sandstone blocks, whilst the main body is constructed from coursed squared sandstone with chiselled point work. The face is flanked by diagonal ashlar buttresses. The three large Tudor arched windows are glazed with plain glass quarries, with the exception of the lower section of the westernmost window which has stained glass. These six light windows have stone transoms and mullions. Some repointing work has been carried out beside the eastern window. There is a basement entrance at the eastern end of the face.

The northern wall mirrors the southern elevation, but there is no stained glass. There are also cast iron down pipes at the eastern end of the face.

The western gable is built from The face is flanked by diagonal ashlar buttresses. There is a large central eight light Tudor window with stone transoms and mullions and coloured glass quarries. Above this in the gablehead there is a louvered roundel with spiralling mouchettes. The elevation is topped by a stone cross finial.

A corbelled octagonal bellcote projects from the apex of the principal elevation. Each of the faces has a louvered lancet opening with gablet detail above. The bellcote is topped by a tall stone spire with decorative stone finial.


Description (interior)

The building is entered at the eastern end and the door leads into a porch area with stairs either side that lead up to the gallery. The main body of the building is divided into two sections; the eastern section is divided into small function rooms;   the church is in the western section of the building. A gallery supported by cast iron columns surrounds the church on the northern, southern and eastern sides. There is a raised area at the western end of the church for the furniture.   Beneath the floor of the raised area at the southern side is a baptistery tank. The pews have been replaced by individual wooden chairs. The theme of the stained glass in the westernmost window on the southern wall is Dorcas;   it was installed in 1933 and is dedicated to the Rev. David Nicol and Mrs Jessie Hay of Dalgety Bay (from 1855-1868). The large window in the western face is glazed with coloured glass quarries; the colours represent the theme of the tabernacle in the wilderness (the second book of Moses in Exodus).


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandDenomination1830
Gospel ChurchDenomination1982-NOW
Mr William BurnArchitect1830

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1829 to 1830)
  • Bellcote: Build/construction (1829 to 1830)
  • Church: New Denomination (1980)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 3664
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 50878
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 2229

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 170