Dalmeny Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 14440 77500, map


Address

West Lothian
Scotland

Description

Dalmeny Parish Church

Construction materials: Stone (sandstone) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

Reportedly the best preserved Norman Parish church in the country. It dates to the early-to-mid 12th century and could have been built by Earl Gospatric. The building, built in fine grey-white sandstone possibly quarried from South Queensferry, comprises a west tower, nave, a narrower and lower chancel and an even lower and narrower apse. The total length is 30. 5 metres. The Rosebery aisle to the north was added in 1671. The west tower is of modern design (1937 by Alfred Greig) and replaces an earlier one. The south door of the nave is the decorative showpiece of the church. The carving includes figures, signs of the zodiac and hoodmoulds and string courses, with scroll and leaf patterns. The door is projected out of the wall and is similar to that of Dunfermline. The nave features windows with decorated capitals and hoodmoulds, widened in the 17th and 18th centuries and now back to their original size. The nave was re-roofed in 1766. The west tower is small and simplified, so as not to compete with the original work. There are three stained glass windows in the apse, including the Madonna and Child, Saints Margaret and Teresa, by Lalia Dickson, 1942, dedicated to Polish troops. The churchyard features several monuments and tombs, including an elaborately-carved stone coffin.

Written and researched by J. Dowling, 2003; Elisabeth Mincin (August 2008)

Apse

Date: 12thC

Burial ground

Chancel

Date: 12thC

Stained Glass

Date: 1942

Nave

Date: 12thC

Tower

Date: 1937


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (11M0)
    People: Earl Gospatric
  • Church: Addition (1671)
  • Church: Addition (1941)
    Addition of three-light stained glass window by Lalia Dickson