St Ninian's Chapel

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09040 87510, map


Address

Queen Anne Street
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7DD
Scotland

Also known as:

  • St. Ringaine's

Introduction

Little is known about this chapel which stood near to the centre of Dunfermline. It is marked on a sixteenth century map of Dunfermline and this location roughly equates to the area of land between the west end of Queen Anne Street and the High Street, near the junction with Randolph Street.   It is unclear whether this chapel, which was probably built in the fifteenth century, survived the Reformation.    The site was developed for the new Dunfermline Bus Station.


Description (exterior)


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Pre-reformation Church of ScotlandDenomination14-1560The chapel was erected in the latter half of the fifteenth century.

Events:

  • Chapel: Build/construction (1400)
  • Chapel: Destruction/demolition (1560 uncertified)
    Possibly destroyed at the Reformation.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 49336
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 2261

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Scottish Burgh Survey: Historic Dunfermline, Archaeology and DevelopmentDennison, E.P;Stronach, S.2007pp. 26, 86, 114