St Mary's Catholic Church
National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 38000 31420, map
AddressSt Mary's Lane
Also known as:
- Immaculate Conception
Originally named as 'The Church of the Immaculate Conception' and was Dundee's third Roman Catholic church.
- St. Mary's RC
This long, unusually-designed church is placed near a junction of Logie Road and commands the upper half of St. Mary's Lane. Its west elevation is at the roadside but the rest is contained within a surrounding car park. This space has pedestrian access from parallel streets. The main entrance is at the north gable. K. Nichols
This example of Gothic revival dedicated to St. Mary was built in 1866 by Joseph A. Hansom. Assymetrical it is rubble built with ashlar dressings. To passersby the most visible portion is the southern chancel and apse. The 5 polygonal chancel soars up into a pointed spire and has clasping buttresses at base level only. It also has impressive traceried round-arch windows. The spire slates are of a fish-scale design and there is a wrought-iron finial. The aisle and nave walls are buttressed with the clerestory and aisle windows separated by a steep slate roof. These provide a low roof over the internal aisles. The aisle windows are paired and traceried. The impressive entrance on the north gable has an apex with a timber bellcote and several signs of alterations. The attached priest's house faces the street and is intersected with the church at its northeast corner.
The interior piers are of grey stone with arcades of yellow brick interspersed with red bands. The roof trusses are timber. Other features include a flamboyant 1897 altarpiece by A. B. Wall of Cheltenham and stained glass by Mayer of Munich. There is also a 12 metre deep well that is floodlit. The church is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use. Researched and compiled by J. Dowling, 15/10/04. Edited and supplemented by K. Nichols, 08/08.
The Lady chapel is attached to the west side of the southern apse. It is semi-circular with 6 cusped lights on the south face and a traceried window facing west. The chapel is topped by a conical roof. K. Nichols
Entrance (north gable)
The north gable has a central buttress with a niche for a statue. There are two hooded windows and above them two infilled quatrefoils. A timber bellcote is placed at its apex. Both doors have been inserted into a set of three former windows. The windows that are not covered by the doors have restored and infilled stonework. Glass is in the visible portions of the windows above the doors. The apse at the NW corner has the original hoodmoulded door, a clasping buttress and consists of only one bay. At the NE corner is a semi-octagonal attachment, which has small traceried windows and finial on the faceted roof. K. Nichols, J Dowling
The interior piers are of grey stone with arcades of yellow brick interspersed with red bands. The roof trusses are timber. Other features include a flamboyant 1897 altarpiece by A. B. Wall of Cheltenham and stained glass by Mayer of Munich. There is also a 12 metre deep well that is floodlit. The church is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use.
K Nichols, J Dowling
People / Organisations:
- Church: Build/construction (1866)
People: J.A. Hansom
- Church: Addition (1897)
- Church: Addition (1927)
plans for alterations submitted for Rev Bishop Toner by architects Allan & Friskin
|Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online database||View HS Listing Online:||Dundee Burgh Statutory list|
|Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online database||Reference:|