Balmaghie Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NX 72270 66310, map




Balmaghie Parish Church

Construction materials: Stone (whinstone) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

Originally built in 1794, and rebuilt or repaired several times since then, the Parish chhurch of Balmaghie sits on the site of an older church of Balmakethe. The graves in the surrounding graveyard date from before 1680. It is located on the top of a hill, overlooking Loch Ken and the surrounding countryside. It is in full ecclesiastical use, and is in good condition, with whinstone walls and slate roof. Researched by A. Penman, compiled by J. Dowling, 28/7/03.

Burial ground


  • Church: Build/construction (1794)
  • Church: Build/construction (1891 to 1894)
    People: Peddie & Kinnear.
    Additional: Rebuilt
  • Church: Build/construction (1893)
    Feature: Tower.
    People: James Barbour.
    Additional: Rebuilt
  • Church: Build/construction (1900)
    Additional: Rebuilt
  • Church: Repair (1913)
    Feature: Tower