St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 39210 30170, map


Address

Wilkies Lane
Dundee
Angus
Scotland

Also known as:

  • St Joseph Protector, Dundee

Introduction

St Joseph’s RC Church was built in 1873 and is the second oldest Catholic Church in Dundee.   It is situated on an elevated site in Wilkies Lane off Blackness Road and runs North/South between the original associated school (now the Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education) and the newer St Joseph’s school built to replace it. 


Description (exterior)

It is a cruciform building constructed in stone with a slate roof.  The West gable is stepped and has a small bell tower with a cross finial.   Along both sides of the main body of the church and in the West gable, there is a series of three-light windows some with elaborate tracery.  These and the single windows in the gable and in the transepts are set in pointed arches finished with cement facings.  In the apse, there are two two-light windows that are trefoil shaped with small quatrefoil windows set above, all within a pointed arch.  The main entrance is also set in a pointed arches with an ornamental moulding with head stops. 


Description (interior)

In the interior, the roof is supported by wooden beams and trusses.  The walls  of the main body of the church are plastered and painted while the walls of the transepts are half covered in fielded oak panelling surmounted by a carved frieze and incorporating confessionals at either side of a small altar.  The main altar is backed by an elaborately carved and painted screen and canopy.  The choir gallery has a wooden ballustrade with ornamental ironwork and a modern glass screen and door have been added below.  


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Ellis & WilsonArchitect of the church1873

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1873)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 2753

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Dundee: an illustrated architectural guideC McKean and D Walker1993