Lochend Church, New Abbey

National Grid Reference (NGR): NX 89480 69240, map


Address

Beeswing Village
Kirkcubright
Scotland

Description

Lochend Church, New Abbey

Construction materials: Stone (granite) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This church was built as a Free Church in 1868, and is located within a triangle formed by three roads. The church has granite walls, faced with red freestone, and a slate roof. It is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use as the parish church, having re-united with the Church of Scotland in 1929. It is linked with New Abbey Parish Church and shares a minister with this church. The site is on a 999 year lease, on condition that the previous church was a used as a school. It can seat 250 people and originally cost 650 pounds to construct. A World War II memorial window was later added. Researched by F. Stewart, compiled by J. Dowling, 17/3/2004.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1868)