St Tears Chapel, Wick

National Grid Reference (NGR): ND 36720 54470, map


Address

Shorelands, Akergill, Wick
Caithness
Scotland

Description

St Tears Chapel, Wick

Bishop Forbes in August 1762 discusses coming across this site as thus; "we came to the Ruines of a very singular [small] Chapel of stone and mortar, without any Lime, and without Windows either in the East or West Gable, all the Windows being in the South-Wall. It is called the Chapel of St Tear". The site today is a low, grass covered foundation described as being 47ft by 27ft 6in, and it is situated on the seaward side of a concrete World War Two look-out building. (Caithness Inventory no. 595) Researched by R. Gunn, compiled by J. Dowling 22/9/2004.