Haugh of Kilnmaichlie Chapel Site, Strath Avon
National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 18760 33100, map
The site of this small Catholic chapel is located in the middle of a cultivated field alongside Kilnmaichlie Farm, in a narrow valley bottom with steeply sloping, wooded hills on each side. There is little known about this chapel, other than it is thought to have been Catholic. Nothing now remains of the chapel itself but there was a small graveyard around the chapel, which may survive to a degree. Tenants of the local farm planted trees over the site in the later 19th century to protect the graves and prevent it from being ploughed over. The field had a crop of barley growing when visited, so it was not possible to visit the site, although no trees were seen in the field, which would point out the site.
|Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline database||Reference: 3126|
|Canmore - Online database||View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ13SE 9|
|Canmore - Online database||View Canmore Report Online: 16034|
|The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey||Ordnance Survey||1869||Book 17, p93|
|The New Statistical Account of Scotland||1845||Vol. 13, p133|