St George's Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40270 30580, map


Address

Meadowside
Dundee
Angus
Scotland

Introduction

The present site of St. George's is occupied by a modern structure that is halls of residence for Abertay University. However, the site can be located because the road layout and adjoining buildings, that are shown in past images, do still exist. K. Nichols


Description

The following description is taken from an image held by Dundee Reference Library.
This rectangular box construction was located on slightly rising ground at the northeast end of the city centre. With an east-west orientation it had boundary railings to separate its grounds from the pavement. The windows were wide arched with two lights and flowing tracery. The central bay was prominent and contained two windows flanking the entrance porch. Each of these windows had three lights disected by a stone astragal. The central light on each side had a vent installed, perhaps after construction. The panelled wooden door was within a recess. The dripstone had no carvings at its tip. Above the door was a shield but appears empty at the date of the image. The porch had a pointed tympanum. An opening under the gable appears to be for a bell space. The finial on the east gable appears to have been stone and circular set upon a circular pier. K. Nichols


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1916 to 1929)
    not yet identified
  • Church: New Denomination (1929)
    to St. George\'s

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dundee Reference Library - Online databaseReference: Online digital resource
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 3430

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Victorian Dundee at WorshipIan McCraw2002
Lost DundeeC McKean and P Whatley2008