St Andrews Cross

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 51000 16000, map


Address

North Street, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 8BZ
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

A sculptured cross shaft and carved slabs were moved from within the ruins of St Andrews Cathedral to be recorded in 1908. They are likely now part of the collection on display in the Cathedral museum, built in the remains of the cloisters. A cross associated with a Bishop Rodger is referred to in an agreement document of 1212, which may well be the sculptured cross mentioned above.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)

St Andrews Cross

 

Cross

Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Pre-reformation Church of ScotlandDenominationC1560

Events:

  • Cross: Build/construction (B1212)
    A cross was known to be in existence in 1212.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 34316
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 3624