Wemyss Castle Chapel

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 33070 95250, map


Address

Wemyss Castle
West Wemyss
West Wemyss
Fife
Scotland

Also known as:

  • St. Mary Star of the Sea

Introduction

This is a private site with no public access.   It is a sixteenth century barrel-vaulted room on the ground floor of the castle which was converted into a memorial chapel by Sir Robert Lorimer in 1897.    It is dedicated to the 'Glory of God in memory of Millicent Mary Kennedy Erskine', wife of James Hay Wemyss.


Description

Wemyss Castle Chapel

Private site, no access. sixteenth century barrel-vaulted room on the ground floor of the castle. Converted into a memorial chapel by Sir Robert Lorimer in 1897. Dedicated to the 'Glory of God in memory of Milicent Mary Kennedy Erskine', wife of James Hay Wemyss.
(Amanda Gow, June 2007)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Wemyss Estate TrusteesOwnerNOW

Events:

  • Chapel: Build/construction (1500)
  • Chapel: Alteration/conversion (1600)
    Converted into a kitchen in the seventeenth century.
  • Chapel: Consecration (1897)
    Chapel dedicated 18th September 1897.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M010422
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 16709
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 53955Wemyss Castle.
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 3667

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
West Wemyss Village WalkaboutSave Wemyss Ancient Caves Society2002p. 29