New Leeds Former Church, Strichen

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 99570 54430, map


Address

Manse Street
New Leeds, Strichen
Aberdeenshire
AB42 4HX
Scotland

Introduction

New Leeds Church was built in the mid 19th century with an attached manse. It is located in the south-west end of the small, planned village, which has mostly small 19th century cottages and some later houses. There is a small field behind (west) the church, which may have been the manse glebe. The church and manse went out of ecclesiastical use some time ago and have since been converted into a private house. 


Description (exterior)

The church and manse form a T-plan structure and they are attached to each other under one roof, a fairly unusual arrangement. The church is aligned east-west with the manse at right angles behind. They were built in rubble and the walls are cement rendered. The roofs are slated and there are small vents in the ridge line of the church. 

 

The church has an unusually-styled east gable, which is the principal elevation of the building. The central doorway is recessed slightly with wide chamfers and is shallow-arched at the top. There is a straight, stepped hoodmould above, which is a Tudar style. Flanking the doorway and above are three tall, narrow, round-arched windows with narrow granite surrounds and large panes of clear glass (likely replacements). The gablehead is fairly ornate and Elizabethan-shaped. It has curved sections divided by straight steps and in the centre is a small, corbelled bellcote. It is gabled with a round-arched opening and topped by a finial. The bell is no longer in place. 

 

The side elevations of the church each have three tall, round-arched windows with clear glass. The manse is attached to the rear and is two stories in height. It has rectangular case and sash windows and chimneys on the gables. A lean-to extension has been added on the north side, which also contains the main doorway into the former manse. 


Description (interior)

The interior has been converted into a private house and it is unknown how much of the original furnishings and fittings survive. 


Events:

  • Church built (1853 to 1854)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 3859
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ95SE 49
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 179083
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 16546B-listed