Inchnadamph or Assynt Ex Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NC 24930 22000, map


Address

Inchnadamph (or Former Parish)
Sutherland
Scotland

Introduction

An 18th Century former parish church which was rebuilt in 1910.


Description

This church is sited at the north west corner of a rectangular, walled enclosure, and is largely of nineteenth century date. The much altered Macleod of Assynt burial aisle or Mausoleum (which was probably attached to the North side of an earlier building in the seventeenth century), is in the graveyard SE of the Church. It is a vaulted structure (now empty), which at one point had an upper apartment perhaps for private devotion (a laird's loft?). This was removed before1793. Part of a large, free standing mediaeval cross of unusual design (though bearing some similarities to that at Kilnave) was unearthed here in 1993 as part of excavation work.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1741 to 1743)
  • Church: Renovation (1910)
    William C Joass

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Sutherland an Illust Architectural GuideBeaton, E.1995Edinburgh Pg. 106