Quaker Meeting House, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40350 30120, map


Address

7-9 Whitehall Crescent
Dundee
Scotland

Introduction

This meeting house is set within a row of tenements within a crescent at the south of the city centre. The surrounding area is built up with nineteenth century tenements that are a mix of retail and residential accommodation. K. Nichols


Description

This meeting house was used by the group from 1870 following periods at 50 Barrack Street and the local YMCA. By 1890 there were strong attempts to create a permanent meeting house. This new building is in the typical Scottish tradition with rectangular windows. When used it featured reading rooms, a library, classrooms and recreational areas, as well as the meeting room. The second, third and attic floors were to be brought into use if and when the success of the house dictated. Costing around £2500 to build the meeting house opened in 1893. The house is recognised by the large lettering above what is now a glass fronted estate agent. Curved glass, exposed iron columns and the large 'Meeting House' lettering have been restored after a 1960s fascia board covering the original was removed.

The ground floor was a shop, where rent could be extracted at £40 a year, and the top floors were let out as hotel accomodation to bring in extra funds. The doorway is constructed of wood and has a semi circular fanlight that has an imitation keystone.

J. Dowling, K. Nichols  


Events:

  • Meeting hall: Build/construction (1893)