Seventh Day Adventist Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 09910 86410, map


Address

Gordon Terrace
Dunfermline
Fife
KY11 3BH
Scotland

Introduction

The Seventh Day Adventist Church was built in 1952, although there had been Adventists in Dunfermline since 1934. It is in a residential area, directly beside the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (site no. 4095), and in a gravel precinct fronted by white washed harled walls surmounted by iron railings.    The facade of the building is Art Deco (1920s) in style and may therefore have originally belonged to a different building.


Description

The brick built eastern facade has been harled and white washed and the roof is of corrugated asbestos. Each of the five bays is stepped, the central bay being the tallest. There is a small timber porch with slate roof in front of the central bay, containing a square headed two leaf timber door.   In the flanking bays there is a narrow rectangular window. This facade is wider than the others and may have originally been associated with a different building.

The base course of the south elevation is covered in pebbledash, whilst the upper stage is harled.   There are eight four paned rectangular windows evenly spaced along the face.    The north wall mirrors the south wall.   
A flat roofed bay projects from the centre of the west gable and has a four paned rectangular window on each face and there are additional windows on the gable, flanking the advanced bay.   Some of the windows have been smashed and are boarded up.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Seventh Day AdventistsDenomination1952-NOW
Denys BaildamFounder195Campaigned for the establishment of the 7th Day Adventist church in Dunfermline Campaigned for the construction of a Seventh Day Adventist Church in Dunfermline.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1920 uncertified)
    The facade of the building is Art Deco in appearance and may originally be from another building, later reused on this building.
  • Church: Build/construction (1952)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4096