St Andrew's Church, Inverurie

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 77630 21110, map


High Street
AB51 3NP


This large parish church was built in the early 1840s and is close to the town centre, along High Street. The church is one of a number of ecclesiastical buildings in a line along High Street, including the Episcopal church and former Congregational church. 

Description (exterior)

St Andrew's Church is aligned east-west and is built of roughly-finished granite blocks with ashlar window and door surrounds. The wide roof is slated and has roof vents along the ridgeline. 


The east gable forms the formal front of the church and it faces High Street. It is of three bays and has a central pointed-arch doorway, heavily chamfered and with an ashlar rectangular frame around it. Above is a large pointed-arch window with simple trefoil tracery and clear multi-pane glazing. It is topped by an ogee-curved hoodmould with an ornate finial. A metal clock face set in a round stone frame is positioned directly above the central window. The apex of the gable has a tall gothic bellcote, with lancet (pointed-arch) openings and finials. The outer bays of the gable have a tall pointed-arch window with simple tracery and clear multi-pane glazing. There are large buttresses between the bays, each with tall square or octagonal pinnacles. 


The side elevations of the church have four large pointed-arch windows, again with simple tracery and clear multi-pane glass. There are tall buttresses at the corners with pinnacles. To the rear, a chancel was built onto the west gable in the 1870s. It is significantly narrower than the nave and has large rectangular windows on the north and south faces. 

Description (interior)

The interior of the church has been refurbished a number of times, most notably in the 1960s when the chancel and nave were refurbished and much of the current furnishings installed. The plastered walls and ceiling are painted light grey (walls) and bright blue (ceiling), with white detailing. Blue carpet covers much of the floor space. 


The chancel is bright and open, with a blue dado and carpet and bright white walls. The simple communion table is centrally placed and behind on the wall is a large wooden cross. A modern-looking 1960s pulpit is positioned at the junction of the nave and chancel. It has rectangular panels with a Latin inscription and a depiction of Christ. On the opposite side is a small, simple lectern, used for readings. In front of the chancel is an open space, which has a large floor mosaic, styled in a celtic cross design. 


The nave of St Andrew's has simple fixed wooden pews with a central aisle or passage. At the east end is a large gallery which extends about a third of the nave's length. It has a modern (1960s) panelled front, painted blue and white. A large pipe organ, again painted blue and white, is positioned against the east gable and rises almost to the ceiling. Below the gallery the space has been closed off from the nave by wood panelling with lancet windows. There is now a large office and vestry, a separate chapel on the other side and a large central vestibule and welcome area, leading in from the front doors. 

People / Organisations:

John SmithArchitect of the church1841-2


  • Church built (1841 to 1842)
  • Chancel built (1875)
  • Interior refurbished and re-modelled (1965)

Archive References:

Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4135
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 35391B-listed
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: RCAHMS NJ72SE 139
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 112605

Bibliographic References:

Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie, an illustrated architectural guideIan Shepherd2006p122
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the ReformationH Scott et al (eds.)1915-61Vol. 6, p161-2
The New Statistical Account of Scotland1845Vol. XII p685