Logie Durno Church and Burial Ground

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 70440 26380, map


Address

Whiteford, Chapel of Garioch
Aberdeenshire
Scotland

Introduction

Logie-Durno Church was a medieval church and dedicated to St Mary. It was an appendage of Lindores Abbey but became disused at the start of the 17th century when the parish of Logie Durno was united with Chapel of Garioch (1599). 

The remains today are almost entirely covered in thick vegetation (ivy and grass), as it was when recorded by the Ordnance Survey in the 1960s. The remains consist of the stone footings of a nave and chancel. The nave stonework can be seen under the vegetation but the chancel is covered in grass and comprises a rectangular mound today. There is a possible entrance in the north side of the nave and the west end of the nave may be apsidal, although the thick vegetation makes it impossible to be certain without excavation. The nave measures around 19m by 6m internally and the slightly narrower chancel is around 9m in length. 


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
St MaryDedication

Events:

  • Church abandoned (1599)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 417
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ72NW 6:00 and 6:01
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 18845

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie, an illustrated architectural guideIan Shepherd2006p114
The Object Name Book of the Ordnance SurveyOrdnance Survey1867Book 13, p23
Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the ReformationH Scott et al (eds.)1915-61Vol. 6, p151-3