Bervie Parish Church, Inverbervie

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 83000 72760, map


43 King Street
DD10 0RQ


This large, imposing town church was built in the centre of Inverbervie to replace the original parish church. Architect John Smith designed the building and its manse and construction was completed in 1836. It is set back from the main road through the town, King Street, with paved grounds to the front. The church's community centre is housed in a building next door.  

Description (exterior)

The principle south end of the church consists of an attached, square belltower with nave gable behind. The tower has slender corner buttresses, which taper towards the parapet. Divided into four stages, there is a fairly narrow, pointed-arch doorway on the south face, with a pointed-arch window above. This window has simple tracery and an intricate, carved ogee hoodmould. The third stage of the tower has a metal clock face on every face, set into a square recess. The fourth stage has twin pointed-arch belfry openings on each face. The tower is topped by a tall, battlemented parapet, with large pinnacles on the corners. The south gable of the church has pointed-arch windows with geometrical tracery and corner buttresses. The buttresses have very tall, crocketted pinnacles in stone.


Compared to the ornate frontage of the church, the side elevations and rear gable are plain and unadorned. The side elevations have four pointed-arch windows with intersecting tracery. The walls are rendered and there is no dressed stone. The rear gable has tall pinnacles and buttresses, matching those on the south, and there is a platform for a finial on the apex, but the finial is missing.


Description (interior)

The large interior space has a raised pulpit at the north end of th enave and a south gallery, reached by a stairwell in the tower. The impressive pipe organ was installed in 1904 and was made by Lawton. Internal glass doors and panels, used to divide off the nave from the vestibule area, were installed to mark the Millenium,and feature stained glass depicting local landmarks and buildings.

People / Organisations:

John SmithArchitect1836


  • Church built (1837)
  • Pipe organ fitted (1904)
  • Internal glass panels and doors fitted to mar (2000)

Archive References:

Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4215
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO87SW 90:00
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 183451
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 35062B-listed

Bibliographic References:

The New Statistical Account of Scotland1845Vol. XI, p9
The Architecture of Scottish Post-Reformation ChurchesG Hay1957p260
1000 Churches to Visit in Scotland2003