Thurso West Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): ND 11480 68160, map


Address

Sinclair Street, Thurso
Caithness
Scotland

Description

Thurso West Church

Construction materials: Stone - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This church was built in 1859 by the architect David Smith. It is B-listed and has a tower and spire and an octagonal belfry. It was built as a new home for the majority of Thurso's Original Seceeder congregation on joining the Free Church. At first it was named Sinclair Street Free Church, before becoming North Free Church and subsequently West Free Church. When it joined with Church of Scotland it became Thurso West. It has the original pine panelled pulpit and pews. Researched by G. Watson, compiled by J. Dowling, 23/8/2004.

Gate

Belfry

Spire

Tower

Furnishing


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1859 to 1860)
    People: David Smith