St Andrew's Episcopal Church, Brechin

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 59550 60390, map


Address

Argyll Street and St Andrew Street
Brechin
Angus
DD9 6JL
Scotland

Introduction

St Andrew's Episcopal Church was built in 1888 by architects Ross & Macbeth. It is located in small grounds near the centre of town. It has a cruciform plan with nave, chancel, transepts, aisles and a tower with porch entrance. St Andrew's was built with coursed blocks of tooled sandstone with simple ashlar surrounds and corner stones (quoins). The roofs are slated and have decorative red ridge tiles.


Description (exterior)

The south elevation forms the main focal point to the church. The south-west entrance tower has a simple doorway with carved surrounds and hoodmould. The two stage square tower has narrow pointed-arch (lancet) windows above a stringcourse. The tower is capped by a temporary wooden gabled roof structure, ahead of a potential extension or spire. The windows of the aisle are pairs of lancet windows with similar sized lancets in the clearstorey above. The gable of the transept has larger lancet windows and a cinquefoil round window in the apex. The north elevation is similar to the south, except there is no tower.

 

The chancel gable at the east end has three lancet windows placed together with quatrefoil tracery. Below is a memorial panel to Anne Douglas who paid for the chancel and its windows. At the apex of the gable is a small round window. The west gable has a larger pointed-arch window with simple interlocking and quatrefoil tracery. Above is a round window with cinquefoil tracery.


Description (interior)

The interior has exposed stone walls, and Stonehaven granite arcade circular piers support the pointed-arch arcading. The simple wooden pews in the nave face the chancel to the east and there is a central aisle. The open-timber roof is supported on stone corbels.

 

A large chancel arch leads into the raised chancel. There is a wide tiled passageway with inward-facing choir stalls. The granite altar has wooden panelling and there is a fine tabernacle behind. The southern transept is filled by the organ and its pipes.

 

The church has many fine stained glass windows, dating from different periods of the church's history. The most recent is black and white and entitled The Lord is my Shepherd, dating to 1982.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1888)
    People: Alexander Ross

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 22551B-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO56SE 101:00
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4506