Maisondieu Church, Brechin

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 60170 59700, map


Address

Witchden Road
Brechin
Angus
DD9 7HA
Scotland

Introduction

This large Victorian church was built by Sir George Washington Browne in 1891 in a late classical-neo Georgian style. It was built with coursed sandstone with ashlar surrounds. Its Greek style frontage overlooks Witchden Road from an elevated position. The church has been empty and redundant for some time and is currently for sale (2011). The large grounds are becoming overgrown.


Description

The west gable has a pedimented, advanced central section. At ground level are three rectangular doorways with large lintels above. Above, at first floor level, is a three-bay portico with Ionic columns. There are large rectangular windows behind with smaller square windows above.

 

The side elevations of the church are built in coursed rubble. There are small windows at ground level and large rectangular windows above at first floor level. At the east end of the south elevation is a tall, square tower with a domed octagonal belfry. The tower has louvered round-arch openings with Doric pilasters. To the rear of the church is a hall complex at right-angles to the nave.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1891)
    People: Sir George Washington Browne

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 22588B-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: NO65NW 85:00
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 4509